This post was last updated on November 4th, 2021 at 04:39 pm
The fax machine would pass for a perfect example of obsolete technology—one that has been long superseded by the introduction and advancement of computer networks. But, there is a growing interest in faxing nowadays, as it is easier to use, more secure, and better suited in terms of work habits compared to computer-based messaging.
How to Send a Fax in Three Different Ways
Use a Fax Machine
Fax machines are still useful even in the digital era. For you to send or receive faxes from your machine, you should have it set up and configured properly. The first thing is to plug it and connect it to your landline phone. If you intend to send faxes regularly, get a dedicated line since it is not possible to use the phone and fax machine simultaneously.
Follow these simple tips to send a document using a fax machine:
- Place the file you intend to fax in the document feeder
- Input the fax number of the recipient (don’t forget to include an extension to dial externally and the applicable international dialing codes)
- Once you have entered all the details and pressed “go” or “send”, your file will be scanned and send
- You will get a confirmation page for machines that have the feature enabled
- After your file is faxed, you can pick the original document and switch off your fax machine
You will need to have plenty of paper and toner if you will need to receive faxes. In case you don’t intend to send faxes regularly, you can opt to use a fax machine at the local library or a UPS store.
Use Your Computer to Send a Fax
Don’t let the unavailability of a fax machine prevent you from sending that important fax if you have a computer! Most people today are replacing fax machines with computers. All you need to do is install a fax service like RingCentral on your computer. Then follow these steps:
- Open the program you intend to use when faxing
- Choose the file to fax
- Create a cover page for the document
- Choose the “fax” option
- Input the recipient’s fax number and click the send button
Send a Fax Using Your Email
All you need is a Gmail account to send a fax with RingCentral.
- Sign up for Gmail (and RingCentral)
- Identify the file you are planning to fax
- Open a “compose email” page in your Gmail account
- Enter the recipient’s fax number instead of an email address in the “To” box, followed by the RingCentral suffix
- Enter whatever you’d like for a cover letter into the “Subject” line
- Attach your documents
- Press send and get instant confirmation that your secure fax has been sent
It really is that simple, and RingCentral is fast, easy to use, and very secure. You can also fax from anywhere, at any time, and from any device: even a mobile phone!
Faxing is an effective communication method, especially in the business world. Even with advanced technology, there is no doubt that faxing is here to stay, especially considering the shift to computer-based faxing services. When you work with an online service, you don’t have to go through nearly as many steps in learning how to send a fax. All you have to do is sign up.